It’s tough to sort out the snake oil. Here are some legitimate reasons why your business should be , without unsupported claims and promises of incredible results.
- Social business as signal: Let’s face it, having a Facebook account is as essential as having a 1-800 number or website. Everyone else has it, and the consumer may just move-on if they see you don’t.
- First mover advantages: It’s clear that social is the future, even though everyone is still trying to figure out what should be in the secret sauce. First movers have a distinct advantage; using social media will be no different.
- Take advantage of engagement: Your customers have smart phones and use them to research purchases, products, and businesses. Customers also ask their social connections for advice on transactions, and are more likely to take action based on word-of-mouth referrals. Why wouldn’t you be where your consumers are, doing the things they do?
- Additional exposure: Having a presence on the big social networks and services (like Facebook, Twitter, and Foursquare) increases the likelihood that you will be in search requests and more likely to be shared by others.
- Cost: Let’s face it, the only real cost is your time setting it up. How much is your time worth?
In supporting this, check out this slide deck from Michael Britopian’s book Smart Business, Social Business.