If you don’t know about Mary Meeker’s annual internet overview, you’ve been missing out.
Here are my quick thoughts.
- Slide #5: US internet use has matured and growth has ceased.
- Slide #7: There is still more growth to be had in US mobile internet.
- Slide #11: Global majority do not have smartphones.
- Slide #12: eReader/tablet growth is impressive.
- Slide #15: Growth in mobile commerce outpacing non-mobile commerce.
- Slide #16: Advertising via mobile apps outpaced mobile advertising via web page.
- Slide #17: TV ad spending is roughly equivalent to share of time used by audiences. Looks like print/radio may decline while there is opportunity for internet and mobile.
- Slide #19, 20: Mobile ARPU drastically lower than desktop ARPU.
- Slides #22-25: Mobile ARPU will catchup to desktop ARPU.
All of this is all well and good, but the real opportunities are in Slide #30-84, all entitled “the Reimagination of *”. What will the application of digital/social/mobile do to your business?
There also a photo of this document, “A Basic Summary of America’s Financial Statements [pdf]”.